copyright

Kevin

27 Oct, 2014 01:31 PM

after reading the legal stuff before opening an account I get the impression that cash music is acquiring the copyright the music of account holders..is this correct?
thank you ..Kevin

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tracy on 27 Oct, 2014 03:26 PM

Hey Kevin,

actually, it's the exact opposite! We're an open source non-profit and one of our biggest objectives is to protect the rights of artists and to ensure that all their work—be it their music or their data—is theirs and theirs alone.

Not only do you keep the copyright, but you can instead do what you want with OUR code. Because we're open source, that means you're free to take our code, redistribute it, get on github.com and have a look at how we built it, propose changes... you name it.

I was wondering if you could point out which part of our ToS or Privacy Policy gave you the impression we'd be acquiring the copyright? Protecting the rights of artists is SO important to us so I'd love to revisit the wording and perhaps clarify things.

Thanks for writing in,
    Tracy

PS
    If you'd like to know more about our mission, I'd recommend this article one of our co-executive directors, Jesse von Doom, wrote for medium.com not too long ago: https://medium.com/cash-music/the-organization-is-our-protest-song-1c9b01ea3ceb

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 27 Oct, 2014 05:49 PM

Hi,

Chiming in to say that there's definitely no intent to claim any copyright. We've worked with our lawyers on our Terms and (frankly) I still don't think they're quite where they need to be. At present there's no copyright assignment, but there's a pretty broad claim of license in there that we then nullify a few paragraphs later, narrowing it only to the rights we need for you to publish things on our site.

As an FYI, we post all of our legal stuff on github as well so changes can be seen and commented on by the public. If you have any specific comments I'd love it if you'd flag them there or tell us and we'll do it for you if you don't have a github account.

https://github.com/cashmusic/legal

Thanks for taking the time to write and ask!
    j

Jesse von Doom
    @jessevondoom

3. 3 Posted by Kevin on 28 Oct, 2014 07:44 AM

Hello Tracy, thank you for responding, the sections that worries me are
    "rights in user content" and "submissions"
    the trouble with this lawyer speak is it's never possible to fully
    understand what it actually "really" means.
    a simple (in big letters) WE DO NOT ACQUIRE COPYRIGHT OF YOUR MATERIAL
    ..EVER! would do it for me:-)

regards, Kevin

4. Tracy closed this discussion on 17 Mar, 2015 04:15 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac