Can I do custom styling if I'm inserting an element with HTML5 ?

ashcreighton

01 Feb, 2013 12:12 AM

Am I able to use CSS to style an element if I use the HTML5, or does that just work if I'm using the PHP?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 01 Feb, 2013 12:47 AM

Yup. Right under the embed code box there's a link allowing you to set the template you want to use. You'll need to set up an embed template first, which is done under elements > templates. You can start with our default markup or bring your own...but if you're comfortable with CSS you can basically make it look like anything.

2. 2 Posted by ashcreighton on 01 Feb, 2013 07:57 PM

Thanks, but I'm not seeing that link to set the template (or a place to set up an embed template).

(pics attached)

Am I using an old version (or am I blind :-) ?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 01 Feb, 2013 08:02 PM

Ah I'm sorry. I thought you were using the new hosted version (http://blog.cashmusic.org/post/41927773728/open-for-testing) — it's all the same code but we haven't rolled out an update for single-user installs yet.

It's not as automatic, but it's doable still, as long as you're comfortable editing a file. Find the main install location (where the cashmusic.php file is located) — generally one level above your www root folder. In it open the settings/defaults/embed.mustache file.

It's basically just HTML and CSS so it should be easy to tweak things. Just make sure you leave the "{{{element_markup}}}" bit in there somewhere...that's the thing that injects the markup for the embed itself.

Good luck!

(It gets a lot easier in new versions. Coming soon!)

4. 4 Posted by ashcreighton on 01 Feb, 2013 08:34 PM

I was excited to see that blog post - read and enjoyed all of it (including the Bill Murray cilp :) - just haven't switched over yet. But I'm anxious to check it out.

Thanks for your helpful response - I might check out the mustache file, or I might just switch to the hosted version.

Really enthused about what you're doing and happy to be able to take part in it :)

-Ashley

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 01 Feb, 2013 08:45 PM

Awesome! Long-term I'm actually really excited to see people hosting their own. I think it's a powerful/important thing, even if not for the faint of heart. We're hoping to allow platform instances to connect so in this case you could even run a sort of hybrid thing. But there's a lot of work before we get there...

Good luck!

6. Jesse von Doom closed this discussion on 01 Feb, 2013 08:45 PM.

7. ashcreighton re-opened this discussion on 01 Feb, 2013 08:55 PM

8. 6 Posted by ashcreighton on 01 Feb, 2013 08:55 PM

I'm glad you said that ... I was wondering if there was any merit to hosting it on my own (and a part of me felt inclined to keep hosting it). You say it's not for the faint of heart, but in my experience so far you've made it so stinking easy. Seriously, everything about this has been ridiculously user-friendly. (I use drupal for my site, and so I'm usually prepared for a fair amount of hair-pulling... CASH Music has been a breath of fresh air.)

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 01 Feb, 2013 09:16 PM

That's awesome to hear. We've spent a ton of time on making it easy because we really want it to be usable by folks with no real code/tech skills. I'd say we're about halfway to where I'd like it to be on that front, but it's so much further along than the kind of thing where we used to ask folks to crack open a PHP or INI file and make edits. Slowly but surely!

10. Tracy closed this discussion on 17 Mar, 2015 04:37 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac