some questions about lists

scottandrew

26 Sep, 2012 03:46 PM

Hey there, I saw the CASH presentation at XOXO and thought I'd give the platform a spin. Really digging it so far. I have just a few questions about lists and associated elements:

1) I can't seem to find a way to remove/delete members from a list via the admin UI. Is this not available or am I just not finding it?

2) likewise, when I add a single contact under the 'Contacts" admin page, there doesn't seem to be a way to remove/delete a contact.

3) is there a way to actually send a message to everyone in a list from the admin UI? Or is the intention to always connect the list to a MailChimp list to handle that?

And finally (and I admit this might be custom functionality), I was wondering if it were possible to connect customers to a list after a purchase, e.g. say the Digital Purchase widget also includes a membership to the fan club. Seems like I could hack that myself, but I thought I'd ask in case there's a feature like that already forthcoming.

Apologies if this is all covered in docs or FAQs I just haven't found yet!

cheers,
scottandrew

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 26 Sep, 2012 03:59 PM

Hi Scott,

There are actually no interfaces for removing list members / contacts now. Planned, but to get fine control it was a new interface so it slipped to our next release. One the way for sure — better interface for lists and a whole slate of improvements for contacts.

There's no way to send out a list right now other than connecting to MailChimp or exporting the list and importing it into a mass mailer. We're always going to be careful on that front because we don't want someone accidentally getting themselves banned from an SMTP server. It'll be in there soon, but with SMTP and mass mailing configuration.

And you actually hit on a feature that we just put into specs (officially) yesterday. We are going to be adding the ability to do list signups from purchase or redeeming a download code. It'll be an option in those elements — seems like the perfect opportunity to grab new folks.

Sorry it's not all in there yet — sort of a slow build and release often philosophy.

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

cashmusic.org / @cashmusic

2. 2 Posted by scottandrew on 26 Sep, 2012 04:41 PM

Hi Jesse, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I figured that allowing people to send messages to lists was a good way to get their SMTP blacklisted. Connecting to a 3rd party service is smart. (And as an aside, I like the idea that you own your list data and not store it all elsewhere.)

Deleting contacts isn't a dealbreaker for me, I just thought I'd missed something.

If the membership-with-purpose feature is forthcoming I'll hold off hacking the source code.

The reason I'm keen on the CASH feature set is because I've been planning to migrate away from Hostbaby's email list feature, which I hacked it long ago to also work as a membership list to power members-only features. It relies on Hostbaby's increasingly outdated backend, which they might deprecate any day now. Having that core engine hosted on my own server would alleviate some of my stress over that.

Thanks again for the responses, looking forward to seeing the platform grow out.

cheers,
    scottandrew

3. 3 Posted by scottandrew on 26 Sep, 2012 04:44 PM

Yikes. s/purpose/purchase/

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 26 Sep, 2012 05:48 PM

Oh nice...yeah I LOVE the email list as membership thing. Also paid subscription stuff. The email list membership thing is supported now and will get a big boost next release, and subscriptions hopefully coming soon after. (Some extra nuance there, but we've got working models outside the platform so it's not a ton of extra work...)

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

5. 5 Posted by scottandrew on 26 Sep, 2012 06:31 PM

Sounds good, Jesse. I don't want to make extra work for you, but wanted to mention that arbitrary membership levels within a list might also be useful. So people can remain on a single list, but have access to different content based on level. Just a single int in the DB that allows the webmaster to build out features based on that value. (I sort of hacked something similar with the Hostbaby list, using a generic text field they provided for arbitrary user info.)

I suppose you could do this now with separate lists, but then you'd have to manage them separately. Like I said, just a thought.

scottandrew

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 26 Sep, 2012 06:35 PM

We're working on that one with a dynamic list mechanism. Combinations of tagging, history, and even multiple sub-lists. So it could be as simple as tagging folks in a list, or as complex as multiple lists. More complex under the hood, but the interface can be just as simple and offer more flexibility in terms of the actual model.

Just makes me want to cry a little when I look at the ticket is all. Ha...

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

7. Tracy closed this discussion on 17 Mar, 2015 04:38 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac