Web installer hanging

Leigh

15 Jun, 2012 07:26 PM

Could someone else try the web installer and tell me if it is hanging for them as well? I've been trying it over the last few days, and it just isn't working for me. (I'm on Dreamhost shared serving, but it worked for me before. Well, to be exact, I had web-installed v2, and then used the updater script, all without an issue.)

Usually, after pressing the "Start the installing" button, it just hangs on a (mostly) blank page in the browser, and leaves an empty "source" directory behind on the web server.

Sometimes however it will display Error #3, while also saying that cURL is installed and fopen wrappers are enabled.

I can restore my own site from backups without a problem, just wanted to report the web installer issue I was having, in case this is affecting first-time users.

cheers,
Leigh

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 16 Jun, 2012 03:34 AM

Thanks for letting me know. Did a bunch of testing on a Dreamhost shared instance and it worked like a charm — reverted to that version and we're still seeing the error you mentioned so something's apparently changed on their end.

I'll look into it tomorrow and if it's still causing pain I'll try to see what's up.

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 16 Jun, 2012 05:21 AM

Boo. The installer relied on the github's v2 API, which was EOL'd today. So I'll look into rewriting the installer this weekend...

3. 3 Posted by Leigh on 16 Jun, 2012 11:46 PM

Oh, OK, well at least it's not just me... Farewell Github v2 API, we hardly knew ye.

4. 4 Posted by Leigh on 20 Jun, 2012 07:43 PM

Update: I ran the new web installer (copied from the master branch, from your commit the other day) and it worked this time!

After running the installer over an empty directory, I made one change to get it to work with my existing MySQL db: I copied over parts of the /cashmusic/framework/settings/cashmusic.ini.php file from a backup I had made. Namely, the "[database_connection]" part (of course), but also the "[security]" part with the salt value. That value was different in the new installation (which makes sense to randomize it for each install, if that's indeed what is happening), but I needed to reset the salt to its old value in order for the passwords stored in the MySQL db to work.

Good work, Jesse! I just wanted to update this, for others who are in my same shoes.

cheers,
    Leigh

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 20 Jun, 2012 07:51 PM

Awesome. Yeah the salt is different each time so that's perfect. Been hearing from a bunch of folks that the issues are cleared up. Rad.

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom / (401) 864-2118

cashmusic.org / @cashmusic

6. Tracy closed this discussion on 17 Mar, 2015 04:38 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac