Switching from web installer version to dev installer...??

Leigh

14 Jun, 2012 01:19 AM

I had initially started playing with the CASH system using the web installer version. Today I decided to switch to using a "git clone"d version, so I could keep my system up to date with the latest revisions. The git cloning worked fine, and I ran the "dev_installer.php" script (but not before backing my MySQL, since it wipes the tables). Now I've got the new admin panel up and working, and my old data restored.

However, I'm confused as to the different locations of everything. I had thought the web installer version and the dev installer version were different only in how they were delivered. But they seem to use a totally different directory structure. Am I seeing this correctly?

Also, a related question - I had used the handy update.php file last week to update from CASH v2 to v3. Could I have just used the update.php again, to update my system again today to the latest version? (I see in the update.php file that it grabs the "latest_stable" version, rather than the "master", so I guess I could edit that file before running it if I want the very latest commits.)

Thanks for clarifying,
Leigh

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 14 Jun, 2012 01:33 AM

Hey Leigh,

Well...it's no simple system so the locations are a little complex. Proper docs coming this week, but the summary:

/framework/php -> core files. should be secure in a web world...
    /interfaces/admin -> the admin app, relies on core framework. needs to be served from a webserver
    /interfaces/public -> public files like JS libraries and pictures of awesome dogs
    /interfaces/api -> the API that lets MailChimp and similar places register webhooks with you, more later, but needs to be served from a webserver

Everything else can kind of fuck off, actually.

We keep master deploy-ready, but we're not committed to actually supporting it in the future...so I wouldn't rely on it as you might wind up on an orphaned branch. The updater will actually only work when we change version numbers, so there are sometimes incremental changes between versions, but versions probably won't be more than 4 weeks or so apart at this point, and sometimes a LOT less. So you could just update from inside the system menu and be fine.

Alternately, you can just copy the core/admin files over your current ones to get current. Unless there's a schema change it won't be an issue. So far the only schema change from 3->4 is a MINOR tweak changing provider timestamps from ints to strings in context of commerce. So kind of a who-cares change.

So yeah...if you still have data up on your server and you're wondering how to get the latest changes...just upload new admin/core PHP files and don't worry about it. That's valid until the next release at least. But in general I'd recommend staying on the latest_stable branch for production...

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

2. 2 Posted by Leigh on 14 Jun, 2012 05:49 AM

OK, I think my confusion came from the slightly changed organization of some of these directories.

For these directories: /interfaces/admin, /interfaces/public, /interfaces/api
    They were previously just on the root level of the CASH directory - i.e., there was no "interfaces" directory grouping them together.

Again, this is after running the update.php script to bring my previously web-installed v2 up to v3. So I'm guessing these locations just didn't get changed, going from v2 to v3, rather than this being a difference between web-installed and dev-installed versions.

Sorry to bug you, I know it's a work in progress and it's all going to work smoothly in the end!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 14 Jun, 2012 06:11 AM

[Questions]
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Yeah there's no change because of the upgrade. The dev repo is far
    bigger than the and includes more than just the files for a basic
    install. Locations are meant to be fluid to accommodate different
    hosts, etc.

Short version: dev installer is for development. Web install for
    deployment. Any mix there is always going to be "advanced" and not
    supported for production use.

J

Sent from the future. Or my phone.
    @jessevondoom
    Sent: 6/13/2012 10:52 PM
    To: [email blocked]
    Subject: Re: Switching from web installer version to dev installer...??
    [Questions]

4. Tracy closed this discussion on 17 Mar, 2015 04:38 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac