Mailchimp questions

Leigh

06 Jun, 2012 02:31 AM

I'm a Mailchimp user, and I have been trying to link the CASH platform up to my Mailchimp account.

I found from the CASH admin panel where you add Mailchimp, under "system settings". It asks for "key" and "list". I got my API key, but not sure what it wants for "list". Is that by list name, or by Mailchimp's list ID code?

I've tried it both ways, and when I try the email signup in CASH, I can see hits in Mailchimp's log of API calls, but Mailchimp is showing them as failed calls for some reason.

Thanks,
Leigh

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 06 Jun, 2012 03:35 AM

Hmm. Not sure. The "key" should be the MailChimp API key and the "list" is the ID code. Try checking "do not verify" which would force MailChimp to send the verification. (We're reworking that form to make actual sense...)

j

2. 2 Posted by Leigh on 06 Jun, 2012 09:38 PM

OK, tried the "track for email" element again today. The good news is, there are no failed API calls reported by Mailchimp. (It's possible I was confused before, and was only getting failed API calls when I was using the List Name to identify the list, rather than the list's ID code.)

First, I followed your suggestion. In the CASH Email Collection element, I checked the "Skip email verification" box. That worked - the API call was received successfully by MailChimp, and MailChimp then sent its own "Please Confirm Subscription" email to my address, to verify the signup. Once I clicked on MailChimp's link, I was indeed sucessfully subscribed to the mailing list.

However, when I UNchecked the CASH "Skip email verification" box, it didn't really work. After submitting an email, the browser displayed the "You must verify your email address to continue" message, and I did get a verification email that was sent by the CASH system. However, clicking the link in that email just brought me back to the signup page. There was no success message of "now you're signed up", and no link to the downloadable track. There was also no API call made to MailChimp.

So, currently, the "track for email" works if you check "Skip email verification", and thereby let MailChimp handle the verification. The downside to that is that users can enter a bogus email to get the track, since CASH gives them the download link right away in this scenario.

Hope that's all clear!

Leigh

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 06 Jun, 2012 10:15 PM

Good to know. Must have fucked up one of the cases in the conversion to new templating. I'm a dummy. Looking into it...thanks!

j

4. 4 Posted by Leigh on 07 Jun, 2012 01:13 AM

Hey, you're no dummy! I'll try again once you've had a chance to look into it.

Also, I wasn't clear if there were supposed to be calls made from MailChimp to CASH, to update the CASH databases if a person unsubscribes. (This issue note suggests there should be "round-trip" syncing.) I tried an unsubscribe using the MailChimp-provided link (in the first case above, where I had let MailChimp handle the signup verification), and it didn't seem to update anything on the CASH end. If I understand the database, unsubscribing should set the "active" field for that record, in the people_lists_members table, to 0.

Leigh

5. 5 Posted by Leigh on 11 Jun, 2012 02:53 AM

Oh, here's another clue (?) - in the CASH admin panel, when I look at People/Lists/Edit, for the "Connect To" popup menu it only says "None (local list only)". I thought before there was an option to select the Mailchimp 3rd party connection I had established, but I'm not seeing that now.

My database is running as MySQL now, so I can poke around there to see if there's some flag that needs setting...??

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 11 Jun, 2012 06:46 PM

Aha. Found a bug that got pushed to the stable branch. Fixed. Emailing you the specific files to fix on your end...

7. Jesse von Doom closed this discussion on 11 Jun, 2012 06:46 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac