Email for Download - Validation not working

ashcreighton

15 Jan, 2013 01:10 AM

(I posted this problem two days ago, and today my post is gone, so I'm reposting.)

When setting up the Email for Download element, there's a field to customize the error message if someone's email address is invalid, yet when I tested it out by entering blatantly bogus email addresses, it didn't recognize them as invalid (it just came back with "Thanks, here's your download").

It's supposed to be able to tell if it's not a real address, right?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 15 Jan, 2013 01:23 AM

Hi,

Sorry the original is gone — not sure what's wrong. I saw it this morning and it was in my pile of things to get to.

So the email-for-download (ours or anyone else's) can only verify that the format is valid or not — not if the email itself is real or not. So "[email blocked]" would actually be seen as valid, whereas "fakeperson" would fail.

If you choose to verify the email address it will try to send an email to that address, and only give out the download after someone gets the email and clicks the return link. That's the only way to be certain it's a real person giving a real address. But the tradeoff is that you might miss some folks who don't want to take the extra step or who never see the message because it winds up in their junk folder.

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

cashmusic.org / @cashmusic

2. 2 Posted by ashcreighton on 19 Jan, 2013 04:17 PM

Thanks for your prompt and thorough response Jesse, that all makes sense to me now.

I'm really excited about what you're doing and can't wait to see what's ahead :)

-Ashley

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 29 Jan, 2013 02:49 AM

Awesome. A lot more coming soon!

4. Jesse von Doom closed this discussion on 29 Jan, 2013 02:49 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac