web installer errors

Jon Mumonkan

04 Dec, 2012 08:00 PM

i am presently using the web installer. i noticed it (at least at this point in time) fails on the same flavor of error twice. namely a problem copying files for two files: interfaces/php/admin/components/pages/controllers/people_social.php and also empty.moustache (forget location of that, but yknow).... in both cases, the file appears to be retrieved, however shows up on my system as zero bytes.

either this is truly the case (these are empty files) or there are problems in copying them (permissions? etc). whatever the case, the installer falls over at this point. if you simply restart the installer, it effectively skips over the file as being okay.

i am not sure if this breaks the install -- yet. i am only halfway through it. :)

best,
-jon

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 04 Dec, 2012 08:21 PM

Hi Jon,

Those two are both blank — so that's fine actually. Restarting a few times shouldn't hurt things, but it's annoying.

Sorry about the trouble. As the number of files (and chances for error) have increased we've seen more copy errors. Not a high percentage, but the folks who hit them hit them big. Just did a "cloud installer" which works with a full image of things and we're planning enhancements to the installer — even a version that can just work with all the files in place.

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom / (401) 864-2118

cashmusic.org / @cashmusic

2. 2 Posted by Jon Mumonkan on 04 Dec, 2012 08:58 PM

thanks for the info -- i have not hit any snags yet after re-running it to get past the two zero-byte instances. i tried to look at the installer code to see where the zero-byte was getting flagged as an error; but nothing obvious to me. (figured if it was an easy fix, i could try patching.)

now that it is all installed i am excited to move on to the real thing. thanks for the fast reply!

-jon

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 04 Dec, 2012 09:08 PM

Yeah I skipped MD5s, etc — it's a really basic copy and even that's felt like a real moving target trying to support shared hosting to any real degree. There's a pretty hokey copy retry loop baked in that's lowered errors a lot, but it feels dirty. Ha.

Let me know if you have any questions. We're pretty well ahead of the installer version in master right now, but there's been a pretty major change setting up support for multi-user / multi-server hosted environments in the same codebase. Now that we're moving into testing on that we'll start hitting some of our UX issues and package up a proper update for the installed single-user versions.

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom / (401) 864-2118

cashmusic.org / @cashmusic

4. 4 Posted by Jon Mumonkan on 04 Dec, 2012 09:12 PM

understood. yeah i am already getting a feel for this and thinking ahead to multi-user, i guess. (e.g. multi-music-maker, in particular)

fwiw, i plan on trying to mess around with this a little in hopes of writing some duct tape to connect it with drupal [i posted about this elsewhere prior to making an account for real on here- sorry] ... but as a sort of tangent i may try to set up things for a couple armchair musician friends as guinea pigs, if i have my say. seems like if i want to do > 1 "band" i would want multi-user. duh? color me noob.

anyway, this all looks pretty slick so far; very excited about the project as a whole. i hope i can find the time and target to be useful.

-jon

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 29 Jan, 2013 03:05 AM

Really just re-reading and closing out older threads, but I'd love to hear if you've had any success. We've been busy over here, so a lot more coming soon.

6. Jesse von Doom closed this discussion on 29 Jan, 2013 03:05 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac