install fails

Ernest

05 Sep, 2012 11:40 AM

Hi,

I just tried to install it for the first time. When asked where I would like my core folder to be I specified some non-root folder (i.e. some place in plain sight). Unfortunately after I click continue I get this message: Couldn't connect to the database. Do you know what might be wrong? By the way, I run Wordpress on this server without any troubles.

Thanks a lot.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 05 Sep, 2012 05:03 PM

Hi Ernest,

Make sure you entered a fully-valid folder name. The installer makes a very good guess for location but if you change it you'll need to do so with a fully qualified pathname.

You also need PHP's PDO library. It's installed by default with PHP 5.2+ so you should have it, but some webhosts apparently disable it.

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

cashmusic.org / @cashmusic

2. 2 Posted by Ernest on 05 Sep, 2012 05:56 PM

Hi Jesse,

thanks for helping. Well, it creates some folders (db, framework) and files (although none in db) into the path I entered. So I guess the path I chose should work generally? Concerning the PDO here's what my php info says:

PDO

PDO support enabled
    PDO drivers mysql, odbc, pgsql, sqlite

pdo_mysql

PDO Driver for MySQL, client library version 5.0.77

PDO_ODBC

PDO Driver for ODBC (unixODBC) enabled
    ODBC Connection Pooling Enabled, strict matching

pdo_pgsql

PDO Driver for PostgreSQL enabled
    PostgreSQL(libpq) Version 8.1.21
    Module version 1.0.2
    Revision $Id: pdo_pgsql.c 293036 2010-01-03 09:23:27Z sebastian $

pdo_sqlite

PDO Driver for SQLite 3.x enabled
    PECL Module version 1.0.1 $Id: pdo_sqlite.c 293036 2010-01-03 09:23:27Z sebastian $
    SQLite Library 3.3.6

3. 3 Posted by Ernest on 06 Sep, 2012 09:50 PM

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be here? Or is there some kind of log or sys script I can run for you guys so you know where to look in case other people experience the same?

Thanks a lot.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 06 Sep, 2012 09:55 PM

Hi Ernest,

Sorry for the slow reply. Very busy.

I'm really not sure why this is happening. We test the installer on several different hosts, and so far have managed to reconcile any issues. It seems like you meet all the requirements yet for some reason the database isn't writeable. What host are you using?

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

5. 5 Posted by Ernest on 06 Sep, 2012 11:25 PM

Hi Jesse,

don't worry, I'm glad for your help. I use Tophoster.de, specifically [this package] (http://www.tophoster.de/hosting/webpakete-privat/tophoster-m)

6. 6 Posted by Ernest on 07 Sep, 2012 11:40 AM

Just a wild guess: Usually when I install wordpress and other database-needing stuff I have to give it a username and password for the new database. However I was never queried about this during the Cashmusic installation. Should I have entered this information in the php file beforehand?

7. 7 Posted by Ernest on 07 Sep, 2012 11:59 AM

Also, when I tried to install it for the first time I think there was some error about sqlite (or similar). I just reloaded the page and ever since I have never encountered this first error again (I tried it a number of folders before posting here two days ago).

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 07 Sep, 2012 08:38 PM

Ah. Not sure why that error disappeared, but there's your problem. You don't need to put in any server information/passwords because our installer rolls out SQLite first with a later upgrade to MySQL. (SQLite is all file-based so it doesn't need extra server configuration.) We'll probably add an "advanced" mode to the installer with MySQL and other fine-tuning options later.

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

9. 9 Posted by Ernest on 09 Sep, 2012 08:31 AM

Hi,

I just tried to install it with another browser - and indeed I got the sqlite 3 error. Is there anything I can do/ask to be able to install cashmusic anyhow?

Thanks.

10. 10 Posted by Ernest on 10 Sep, 2012 11:46 PM

Sorry to still bother you: If I get an error about this sqlite thing what do I do next? I don't understand a lot from the sqlite wikipedia page but it seems that it comes kind of bundled with PHP. Also, see post #3 above, where it gives some sqlite info on my server. So my un-educated guess would have been that any server running Wordpress would be adequate for running Cashmusic.

So again, what do I need to check or ask from my hosting server to be able to install Cashmusic?

Many thanks for your time and input.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 11 Sep, 2012 12:44 AM

I'm sorry Ernest,

You can configure it all for MySQL but right now you'll need to manually edit a few files, move things into place yourself, etc. Honestly my advice is to wait a few weeks until our next update. We're working as hard as we can to get an installer out there that'll suit every single host but until then it'll be very technical to get it going manually. I've added the advanced mode (with MySQL) to our list of September tickets as something we'd like to include, and I'll try hard to get it done before the next update.

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

12. 12 Posted by Ernest on 11 Sep, 2012 12:41 PM

Hi Jesse,

thanks for your work. I'll wait then. In the mean time I look forward to the future of Cashmusic, and wear my CM T shirt proudly ...

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 11 Sep, 2012 02:58 PM

Ha! Awesome...thanks! Yeah we're aiming for no later than Oct 1 for the next release, so it won't be long. Thanks for understanding.

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

14. 14 Posted by Ernest on 08 Nov, 2012 07:25 PM

Hi,

do you know when the dependence on SQLITE will be gone? I just tried the new installer and it still gives me the old Error #5: Looks like there's no support for sqlite 3. The exact error message given was: could not find driver.

Thanks a lot!

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 08 Nov, 2012 07:50 PM

Hi Ernest,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. It's not at the top of our priority stack — probably a few weeks off. Currently heads-down on getting the core of the hosted code folded in so we can mobilize more volunteers and get back to functionality/upgrades. Here's a ticket you can follow on github:

https://github.com/cashmusic/platform/issues/217

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

16. 16 Posted by Ernie Ofori on 14 Aug, 2013 05:53 PM

Hi Ernest,

This may be coming too late but am mentioning it just in case it is useful for others.

I also ran into the same error as you did when I tried to install using the web installer. It turns out that it was a **'Driver not found'** error so I had to install php-sqlite library and restart the apache server properly.
    I had to edit 2 things in the script.

On line 523 I changed
    `'systemsalt' => md5($user_settings['adminemailaccount'] . time())`

to

`'systemsalt' => md5($_POST['adminemailaccount'] . time())`

then on line 594 (in the catch of the db connection), i inserted
    `$e->getMessage();`

`die();`

And with that I was able to see the error message from the PDO which was about **driver not found**

Best

Ernie

17. Jesse von Doom closed this discussion on 01 Jul, 2014 06:43 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac