Track for email is broken after v5 updater

Leigh Marble

04 Nov, 2012 12:58 AM

I just ran the latest updater to bring my website up to the CASH version 5. The update went pretty smoothly, except for the "Track for Email" element. It displays the email form OK, and writes to the MySQL table fine. But after entering an email, it does not display the link to download the track - the page reloads, but it just looks the same as before.

I've tried this with both the "Finalize/download without email verification" checked and unchecked. When using email verification, it does send out the email sucessfully, but when linking back to the site, there's no download link shown/

I'm using PHP to write the element (rather than the new Wordpress or HTML5 options).

My site, where you can see this form in action, is www.leighmarble.com

Thanks!
Leigh

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 04 Nov, 2012 02:10 AM

Pretty sure that's this guy rearing it's ugly head again:

https://github.com/cashmusic/platform/issues/240

Is it the only element on the page or are there others before it? I stupidly tested on single elements — I'm sorry. Looking into the fix ASAP, will release a fix of some kind. For now, try making it the first element on the page, or if that's not possible use the HTML5 embed on the same domain. It's a little goofy but should clear it up.

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

cashmusic.org / @cashmusic

2. 2 Posted by Leigh Marble on 05 Nov, 2012 09:45 PM

Hmm, OK. In answer to your question, the "track for email" element is not the only element on the page - there are other elements before (and after).

I tried the HTML5 embed instead, but it doesn't render anything (not even the signup form). You mention it needing to be "on the same domain" - I believe I have that set up right, the website is www.leighmarble.com but of course the HTML5 loads Javascript from cash.leighmarble.com/public. So, same domain, but different subdomains...

I followed that link to issue #240, and saw the related
    commit
    , so I tried patching that in myself, by removing that call to resetSession from CASHData.php. Still no luck, though.

Still troubleshooting. Not being helped by the fact that Dreamhost is running at a crawl today, taking about 30 to load a page (seemingly not related to the CASH system, as it's happening on other sites run off the same server).

thanks,
    Leigh

3. 3 Posted by Leigh Marble on 05 Nov, 2012 10:04 PM

Actually, I take that back - making that change to CASHData.php didn't make the HTML5 embed show up, but when I switched the element back to using PHP to embed, the "track for email" started working again.

Confusingly, however, when I reverted CASHData.php to its unaltered state, the element was still working. In the course of troubleshooting, I deleted all cookies from the leighmarble.com domain, so maybe it was a problem with old cookie data...??

Possibly unrelated, I am still seeing a Javascript console warning in Firefox of "Error: Permission denied to access property 'toString'". Haven't been able to trace it farther than that, as it doesn't give me a file name or line number for where this property is being accessed. I am loading jQuery, which references 'toString', so I'm guessing it's that.

Leigh

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 05 Nov, 2012 10:12 PM

That actually makes sense. The root problem of all of it is that we had to move away from PHP sessions to a roll-your-own to support not losing state with multiple servers. So the cookie issue plus the CASHData.php stuff were probably a little melange of things.

I'll look into the embed code and see why that's not showing up. It's actually being rewritten this weekish to be a little more graceful...if there's any chance you'd be willing to play guinea pig on a private page sometime next week i'd appreciate it...

j

Jesse von Doom
    CASH Music

@jessevondoom

cashmusic.org / @cashmusic

5. 5 Posted by Leigh Marble on 06 Nov, 2012 12:42 AM

Sure thing, I'd be happy to try new embed codes. Let me know when they're ready!

6. 6 Posted by carl on 01 Dec, 2012 04:18 AM

What is the status of the new HTML5 embed codes? When I use them they don't show up either. Carl

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Jesse von Doom on 01 Dec, 2012 04:40 AM

Hey Carl,

There are some pretty major improvements to the HTML5 stuff in the repo right now — they haven't made it into an official release but they're actually safe to just shoe-horn into the release you're at now. All you need to do is copy and paste over 2 files in the /public folder, cashmusic.js and request/request.php — here are links to the latest source:

https://raw.github.com/cashmusic/platform/master/interfaces/php/pub...
    https://raw.github.com/cashmusic/platform/master/interfaces/php/pub...

There's also some work-in-progress documentation up at:

https://github.com/cashmusic/platform/wiki/Embedding-HTML5-elements...

8. Tracy closed this discussion on 17 Mar, 2015 05:52 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac